Summary: We’re hiring for a variety of experienced Registered Nurse (RN) positions to complete our team for the 2024 summer season. Whilst it is preferable for our medical staff to reside at camp for the duration of the season, we are willing to work with the right applicant(s) to make the role fit around their summer schedule by offering either a shortened contract or hours on a per diem basis. to comply with local Board of health requirements, we have a minimum of 1-2 RNs onsite 24 hours a day, and a minimum of four Medical Assistants who provide support to our nurses.
Who we are and what we are looking for: Grotonwood is a non-profit Christian camp that predominantly serves adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) between the ages of 20-75 for one-week overnight camping experiences; our season is eight weeks long with one week prior to the season for staff training and orientation (total nine week contract).
In addition to a thriving program for adults with disabilities, Grotonwood facilitate eight weeks of day camp for neuro-typical kids age 5-12, and five weeks of overnight camps for nuero-typical kid age 7-16.
The ideal applicant will have prior experience working with the IDD population in either summer camp, group home or day habilitation program settings. The applicant must be able to work indendendently, exercise professional autonomy, have excellent nursing judgement and critical thinking skills. Experience with heavy medication passes is essential.
Residential RN Weekly Salary: $1350-1650 per week (commensurate with experience/credentials)
Residential RN Housing: Our nurses and medical assistants live in a recently refurbished apartment which comes with air conditioning and is conveniently located in the center of camp.
Residential RN Benefits: $500 completion bonus for residential staff that are able to commit to the full nine-week contract, free room and board, meals, laundry facilities, WIFI, MA license reimbursement, use of camp facilities outside of working hours. RNs have exclusive access to a Golf Cart for travel around the campgrounds to administer necessary First Aid, medications and/or assist in an emergency.
Plus, free Day Camp tuition and heavily discounted rates for Sleepaway camp for up to 2 children in your household (value of up to $3600 per child). RNs receive free entry to off-site field trips, provided medications and treatments in non-clinic setting is required.
Residential RN Time Off: Camp shuts down weekly from Friday PM to Sunday AM - Flexible working to cover 1-2 weekends is required.
Residential RN Supervision: Our Nurse Manager provides onsite and remote medical supervision. Our Health Care Consultant is Dr Russel Coleman.
Residential RN is responsible for:
- Overseeing the administration of medication to campers at designated med-pass times, updating Medical Administration Rerports
- Organizing camp paperwork and maintaining files/records as part of the in-take process and beyond
- Applying first aid for minor injuries, participate in open hours for both campers and staff (ie-sore throats, tummy aches, rashes etc)
- Support the camper dining experience - oversee modified or doctor prescribed diets (ie-chopped, pureéd, ground-moist)
- Taking care of campers’ medical needs and treatments (ie-nebulizers, inhalers, monitoring glucose levels)
- Communicating with caregivers, guardians as needed
- Accompany campers or staff to urgent care, hospital, off-campus trips as needed
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team comprised of doctors, pharmacies and other health care professionals
- Participate in camp activities and events - build strong interpersonal relationships with other departments