Texas Elks Camp is seeking male and female summer camp counselors who are passionate about working with special needs children ages 7 to 21. Experience is preferred, but not required. Camp counselors will work with children and adolescents who have intellectual disabilities, developmental disabilities, physical disabilities and foster care children. Patience, love of working with kids and the energy and ability to work well in a group setting are a must.
Regular duties include:
- Leading small or large groups activities
- Ensuring safety of campers while at camp and on outings
- Participating in camp activities: singing, story telling, arts, crafts, swimming, trips to SeaWorld, and SplashWay and sporting activities
- Assisting campers with eating, bathing and toileting as needed
- Walking/running in the heat of the day
- Making beds, organizing/straightening dorm rooms, crafts and sporting equipment
Camp counselor job starts June 4, 2023 and ends July 28, 2023. The first week will be training week, there will be seven week-long summer camp sessions beginning June 11, 2023. Campers arrive every Sunday and leave every Friday. Counselors have Friday evening and Saturday off, and must return to camp by 10:00 each Sunday.
Camp counselor pay starts at $350 per week. Meals and housing are provided during training week and during weekly camp sessions. Counselors must live on site during training week and during camp sessions.
All counselors are hired for the entirety of the summer program and will receive CPI, CPR and first aid training.