Nurse - Overnight Summer Camp - 7 weeks
We’re looking for motivated individuals who have the desire and ability to lead our summer camp health team. Camp Starfish is a residential (overnight) summer camp serving children with emotional, learning and behavioral challenges. The Camp Nurses are responsible for providing health care for campers and staff, overseeing the administration of medications for campers and staff, coordinating visits to a doctor when needed, monitoring overall health and cleanliness standards, organizing health paperwork, maintaining camper and staff health records, and maintaining the medication administration records (MAR). In addition, the camp nurses in 2021 will play a crucial role in Covid-19 prevention and mitigation efforts. Ultimately, the Camp Starfish Nurses allow children and staff to succeed at camp by ensuring that their health needs are met in a safe, efficient, caring, and nurturing manner.
• Oversee daily operation of the health center
• Monitor health of all campers and staff throughout each session
• Understand camp's COVID-19 protocols, and assist camp staff in the application of these protocols. Protocols will include the use of masks and physical distancing when appropriate, COVID-19 testing, and monitoring any campers or staff with symptoms
• Maintain complete and up-to-date health records, including staff and camper health forms and documentation of all medical and nursing interventions
• Provide health screenings for all campers on the opening day of each session.
• Conduct an inventory of supplies and put together supply orders as necessary to maintain necessary health care at camp
• Provide comprehensive nursing assessment to patients (campers and staff) and intervene as appropriate in accordance with standing orders
• Ensure safe medication packaging, storage and administration in accordance with camp policies and procedures
• Respond quickly to all medical emergencies and seek additional medical support as needed
• Communicate any and all health concerns to the Camp Director and/or Executive Director
• Supervise and mentor Health Assistants (typically current nursing school students)
• Coordinate visits to a doctor or urgent care facility when needed
• Delegate, as appropriate, to health assistants, camp administrators and directors in accordance with camp policy and the Nurse Practice Act (Chapter 326-B) outlined in the New Hampshire Statutes
• Follow set schedule for days off, must be on camp property on all other days when campers are on site. Follow protocol for communication when leaving camp or for breaks on-camp to ensure consistent communication with leadership staff
• Check, maintain and distribute first aid kits to all areas of camp and staff
• Participate in and lead specific parts of staff training pertaining to camp health and safety. Provide staff training on universal precautions, epi pens and basic health management
• Keep records of all accident/incident reports for campers and staff
• Assist in completing final end of summer evaluation for full-time and/or part-time health assistants
• Take on other tasks as needed and at the discretion of the Director of Health Services or Camp Director.
Successful candidates demonstrate:
• Strong personal integrity, adaptability, emotional intelligence, enthusiasm, patience, grit and self-control
• Ability to understand, role model, and adhere to Starfish policies and procedures
• Willingness and ability to seek and accept supervision and guidance
• Ready to embrace and accept differences in religion/age/ethnicity/culture/race/gender/sexual orientation and/or other diversities. Willingness and ability to treat all campers and staff fairly regardless of identity, ability, background, and/or preferences
• Willingness to live and work in a camp community that serves children who have emotional, learning and behavioral challenges
Salary and Perks of the Job:
• Short season! Make a difference at camp and still have time to enjoy some free time for summer travel or relaxation after employment with us!
• Competitive Salary. Salary and bonus information may be found here: http://campstarfish.org/staff/detailsmain.html
• Camp tuition discounts and barters available to employees.
• Room and Board included
• Laundry Service provided
• Travel Stipend available for staff members traveling over 250 miles
• Take a break from the hospital or clinic setting to practice healthcare at a summer camp in the woods of New Hampshire!
For more information, please visit our website or email Laura Petersen, Director of Staff Experience, at Laura (at) CampStarfish (dot) org To apply, please visit http://campstarfish.org/staff/apply-now.html and complete an online application.
All hiring decisions contingent on completed application, reference verification, and results of background checks.