The Resident Camp Nurse is responsible for overseeing the overall health and safety of campers and staff. Responsibilities include caring for our children, managing our wellness center operations, conducting wellness checks, maintaining written records of all care, communicating with parents, adhering to safety and standards guidelines, and managing the wellness caseload for the camp.
- Attend pre-camp training sessions.
- Participate in and lead specific areas of staff training pertaining to camp health and safety, CPR, first aid, and use of universal precautions for infectious control.
- Assist with camp set-up and break down.
- Ensure each staff member and camper has on file a health history and examination form, as required.
- Review health history and other medical forms.
- Oversee health screenings of incoming campers as needed.
- Organize all camper medication and set up dispensing system.
- Maintain camper and staff medication dispensing logs.
- Conduct inventory of supplies and place orders when necessary.
- Establish and follow appropriate medical routines, including record keeping in daily medical log, disposal of medical waste, managing and safeguarding medications, and utilizing approved treatment orders.
- Check, maintain and issue first aid kits when needed.
- Provide first aid for minor injuries and illness
- Keep accident/incident reports.
- Understand the daily schedule.
- Know, understand, and follow all emergency procedures.
- Use the property and equipment of the Camp in a responsible manner; return all equipment to appropriate locations.
- Report all concerns, accidents and incidents to the appropriate personnel; complete the proper documents.
- Maintain communication with staff, parents, campers and directors.
- Work with other staff for the good of the children.
- Direct assistant counselors as needed.
- Complete all paperwork as requested, including incident reports.
- Guide the children in solving problems.
- Perform other duties relevant to camp operations as defined by camp management.
- Desire to work with children and understand the development needs of youth.
- Ability to relate to youth and adults in a positive manner.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skill in nursing.
- Possess organizational skills, patience, maturity and dependability.
- Sound character, strong morals, values and personal ethics.
- Ability to communicate and work with groups of different age and development levels, and to provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Ability to communicate with parents.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Ability to ready prescriptions and health exams.
- Physical ability to get around camp property quickly.
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 25 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical activities may include but are not limited to climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, running, pulling, pushing, lifting, and talking.
- Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Ability to withstand daily exposure to the elements, particularly sun and heat, and animals such as bugs, snakes, etc.
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided
- Symptom screening and self-reporting
- Preventative guidelines/workplace safety trainings (social distancing, frequent handwashing, etc.)
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, participation in cleaning procedures
*Please note that given the current situation with COVID-19 pandemic, the YMCA is and will continue to follow recommendations given by the CDC, local, state, and federal authorities.
Professional development opportunities and complimentary use of YMCA facilities.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA/employer M/F/D/V. Employment is subject to extensive background check.