Health / Nursing Assistant – Overnight Summer Camp, Special Needs
We’re looking for motivated individuals who have a desire and ability to join our summer camp health team, serving children with emotional, learning and behavioral challenges. Camp Starfish Health Assistants work under the supervision of our Camp Nurses as integral members of our Healthy House team, which is responsible for providing health care and medications for campers and staff, monitoring overall health and cleanliness standards, organizing health paperwork and maintaining camper and staff health records. Health Assistants provide first aid, triage, and ongoing care for children and adults. Ultimately, Health Assistants allow children and staff to succeed at camp by ensuring that their health needs are met in a safe, efficient, caring, and nurturing manner.
This is an excellent opportunity to receive mentored supervision from experienced health professionals, work directly with both adults and youth in a front-line health-care setting, and build your resume and experience! Past Health Assistants at Starfish have said the role prepared them more for their future nursing and health careers than any other experience offered to them in-school or out. Additional credit for fieldwork and independent study may be available depending on school requirements.
• Provide healthcare services, within scope of certifications and experience
• Administer medications to campers and staff
• Monitor health and well-being of campers and staff
• Organize health paperwork
• Maintain records of care
• Provide first aid when needed
• Assist in triage as needed
• Understand camp's COVID-19 protocols, and assist camp staff in the application of these protocols.
• Complete other duties as assigned
Internship/Course Credit/Fieldwork Experience Information:
Many individuals on our summer staff team use their experience working at Camp Starfish to obtain course credit or hands-on field experience through their college or university. If you are interested in this, we strongly recommend that you speak with your advisor, etc. to determine the necessary steps to apply for credit at your particular institution.
Successful candidates demonstrate:
• Strong personal integrity, adaptability, emotional intelligence, enthusiasm, patience, grit and self-control
• Ability to understand, role model, and adhere to Starfish policies and procedures
• Willingness and ability to seek and accept supervision and guidance
• Ready to embrace and accept differences in religion/age/ethnicity/culture/race/gender/sexual orientation and/or other diversities. Willingness and ability to treat all campers and staff fairly regardless of identity, ability, background, and/or preferences
• Willingness to live and work in a camp community that serves children who have emotional, learning and behavioral challenges
Salary and Perks of the Job:
• Room and Board included
• Laundry Service provided
• Travel Stipend available for staff members traveling over 250 miles
• Possible to earn course credit or fieldwork experience, dependent on school requirements
• Receive mentored supervision in a front-line health-care setting
• Salary and bonus information may be found here: http://campstarfish.org/staff/detailsmain.html
• Gain valuable skills and experience while enjoying a summer camp setting
For more information, please visit http://campstarfish.org/staff/apply-now.html and complete an online application. All hiring decisions contingent on completed application, reference verification, and results of background checks.