The Salvation Army
Golden State Division
POSITION: Program Team- Health Care Associate- Mental Health & Wellness
SUPERVISOR: Program Director
DEPARTMENT: Camp Redwood Glen
STATUS: Summer Camp
THE SALVATION ARMY MISSION STATEMENT:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
The objective of the Mental Health & Wellness Associate is to collaborate with the Nurse for the day to day wellness of campers & staff and to provide assistance in the Health Care center for the care and supervision of staff & campers. The Mental Health & Wellness Associate will also work closely with the Nurse for the daily tasks both in & out of the Health Care Center. Handing out medications to campers & staff, visiting with campers & staff throughout the week, identifying any “red flag” mental health issues, providing basic first aid, and assisting camp staff who may be struggling with correcting camper misbehaviors.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
1. As directed by the Nurse, assist with the intake of campers & staff and dispensing of medications to both
2. Provide basic First Aid for campers and staff throughout the camp day
3. Following the delivery of care or treatment, enter all appropriate details of care provided into the staff or campers medical record and medical logbook
4. Participate in Program meetings & devotionals
5. Actively supervise during free times, being available to speak with campers or staff who may need support
6. Be available to supervise campers & staff in the Health Care Center
7. Be knowledgeable of mental health resources available to campers & staff through The Salvation Army and other community services
8. Debrief intake notes with the Nurse and Program Director by noon on the first full day of camp.
9. Report any suspected child abuse issues to the Program Director and take necessary actions to report it properly
10. When issues of Mental Health & Wellness arise, be an active participant with the senior leadership team in the development and implementation of an action plan that provides access to resources and help to all involved
11. Be an appropriate and effective example for children and staff members, exhibiting Christ-like conduct, concern, and service
12. Spend time with, befriend, and interact with all staff & campers in order to foster a quality camping experience in accordance with the stated goals of The Salvation Army’s camping program
13. Be an appropriate & effective example for both staff & campers, exhibiting Christ-like conduct, concern, and service
14. Keep the Health Care Center clean and sanitized
15. Any other duties as assigned by your supervisor
16. Assist the Program Director in any other duty as requested to maintain a consistently high level of efficiency in the operation of the camp.
17. Participate with all camp programs
All staff may be called upon at any time to assist in the total operation of the camp. You are expected to join in all evening programs; absences are excused only through the Program Director.
1. 21 years of age or older preferred
2. Must have general skills in working with children
3. Must have current CPR/First Aid/AED certification Mental Health First Aid
4. Currently enrolled in a college level or higher program working towards a career in the fields of Medicine, Social Services, or Mental Health Care
5. Must have a personal & growing relationship with the Lord
6. Preferred previous camping experience either as a camper or as a staff member
1. Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist on an intermittent or sometimes continuous basis.
2. Ability to grasp, push, pull objects and tools
3. Ability to lift up to 25lbs.
This job description should also identify the essential functions of the job, including any physical, cognitive, visual, auditory, and other abilities essential to fulfilling the job.
Acknowledgment of Religious Purposes of The Salvation Army
The employee acknowledges that he/she has been informed and understands The Salvation Army’s religious purpose and status as a church. The employee agrees that he/she shall do nothing to his/her relationship with The Salvation Army as an employee to undermine its religious mission. The employee agrees and understands that his/her services are a necessary part of The Army’s religious purposes and his/her work-related conduct must not conflict with, interfere with, or undermine such religious programs or The Army’s religious purpose.
At Will Employment Statement
I hereby understand and acknowledge that, unless otherwise defined by applicable law, any employment relationship with this organization is of an “at will” nature, which means that the Employee may resign at any time and the Employer may discharge Employee at any time with or without cause. It is further understood that this “at will” employment relationship may not be changed by any written document or by conduct unless an authorized executive of this organization specifically acknowledges such change in writing.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer: Minorities/Women/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.