Position Purpose: The Health Care Provider is responsible for overseeing the health and safety of campers and staff while camp is in session.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Provide health care to meet individual needs of camp staff and campers.
- Follow health care policies/procedures as described in the Healthcare Manual and treatment procedures.
- Provide treatment to campers and staff for any medical or mental health needs as directed by standing orders and plan of care.
- Dispensing camper daily medications (including injections) as directed by standing orders or plan of care.
- Collaborate with other medical/healthcare/mental health care providers and Infirmary staff to meet medical and mental health needs.
- Make best practice suggestions for camp health and safety needs.
- Delegate and oversee Infirmary medical visits to appropriate medical staff on the Blue Ridge Healthcare staff.
- Scheduling and arranging for camper transportation to offsite medical facilities as needed.
- Assisting in medical emergency response at camp if situation arises.
2. Maintain accurate and detailed medical records according to state and American Camp Association Standards.
- Utilize daily medical log for treatment.
- Utilize expanded care and accident report forms.
- Utilize parent communication log.
- Update the medical administration record daily as daily medications are dispensed.
- Utilize the CampMinder system to input all treatment, medication dispensing and parent communication into camper record.
- Follow HIPPA compliant forms of communication including verbal discussions or electronic communications with infirmary staff, parents, campers, camp staff, camp director or other health/mental health providers.
3.Screen all campers and staff who are arriving and departing camp.
- Screen all campers and staff who are arriving and departing camp
- Verify health history and examination.
- Verify emergency authorization.
- Identify any observable evidence of illness or communicable diseases.
- Conduct a health assessment including temperature, lice checks, skin checks and recent illness.
- Obtain all medications used by campers and staff and ensure documentation is accurate.
4. Supervise sanitary conditions throughout camp.
- Observe daily cleanliness in the food service facility and other areas throughout camp.
- Report any health problems or symptoms of illness to the Lead Healthcare Provider.
- Discussing healthcare and hygiene with campers.
Other Job Duties:
- Perform any tasks beyond those assigned as help is needed.
- Attend daily Headstaff, Counselor and Administrative meetings to provide guidance and/or report on health related concerns.
The Health Care Provider must have knowledge of the equipment pertaining to the health care profession. Knowledge of AED, nebulizer, otoscope, Blood pressure cuff, injectable medications, oral medications, topical medications, wound care and dressings, splints, etc. , is required. Additionally the Lead Health Care Provider may be asked to use fire protection equipment, washer and dryers, dishwashers, and other specialty equipment around camp. Some may be asked to drive camp vehicles.
The Healthcare Provider has specific relationships with other health care staff which include the Infirmary Manager, the Lead healthcare provider, and the healthcare Assistant/First Aider. They also have relationships with the Food Service Manager and Head staff. They report to the Lead Health Care Provider.
- Minimum 21 years of age
- Registered nurse (RN), LPN, Nurse Practitioner or other equivalent certification with a license as required by that state law.
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications during term of employment.
- Driver’s license.
- Experience in both children and adult illness/injury care.
- Desire to work with children and young adults.
- Community health knowledge.
Physical Aspects of this Position:
- Ability to lift/assist campers and staff.
- Ability to read and follow directions on medication labels, health forms, physician orders, and parent letters.
- Ability to use a telephone.
- Ability to maintain written and electronic record system.
- Ability to quickly get to remote locations on camp property over uneven terrain.
- Ability to observe and assess sanitation and safety conditions of the camp.
- Exhibit endurance to meet emergency needs.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, asses its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to activity.
Some physical requirements of a Healthcare Provider position could be endurance including standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching. Requirement for eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate program equipment and activities. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs. Must also have the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Willingness to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours delivering programs in the facility available. Operate with daily exposure to the sun and heat and exposure to various animals, plants and environmental conditions.