Health Supervisor for Resident Camp
Looking for a summer job that makes a difference? Join our 2024 camp staff today! Our resident camp is a place where energetic and passionate staff come together to provide a safe and positive learning environment for campers ages 5-17. At Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana camps we have a wide variety of opportunities for you. Campers and staff alike spend the summer living outdoors, trying new activities, gaining independence, and building long-lasting relationships.
As camp’s Health Supervisor you will be critical to the success of the summer. In your role you are responsible for all aspects of medical care for campers and staff including following medical routines and dispensing medications, maintaining medical and first aid record keeping, and the operation of the camp health center.
Our summer season runs from early June through early August, including staff training and excluding our fourth of July break. Our resident camp staff work from 11 a.m. Sunday morning until 10 p.m. Friday evening every week.
Camp Staff Benefits:
This is a paid summer camp position which includes room and board. Pay is negotiable based on years of summer camp experience. At camp you will quickly discover that the more you put into the experience, the more rewarding it will be. Throughout staff training and every day rigors at camp, you will experience countless opportunities to be challenged and held to higher standard. These experiences and challenges will help build your resume with health care organizational practices, day and evening youth health care experiences, and customer service and communication with staff and camper families.
Health Supervisor Required Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
- Loves to interact with children and has prior experience working with children of various ages
- Enjoys spending time outdoors and has prior experience working in an outdoor setting
- Must be 21+ years old with a valid driver’s license and have graduated high school, candidates that are 23+ are strongly preferred.
- Current certification that meets criteria for Health Supervisor in the state where the camp is located and accompanying credentials valid in that state; RN, EMT, PA, or Licensed Paramedic preferred.
- Current First Aid and CPR certifications required at minimum; training for these is provided by GSGCNWI.
- Proof of health physical clearing the candidate for work in a camp setting
- Willingness to live and work in an indoor and outdoor camp setting, which includes working irregular hours with limited or simple equipment, rustic facilities, wildlife and insects; limited technology while at camp, and daily exposure to sun, rain, and other weather conditions
Health Supervisor Responsibilities:
- Create a clean, safe, and welcoming environment for campers and staff
- Help build a supportive environment where campers can grow, make new friends, and try new things
- Role model problem-solving, collaboration, and initiative to campers and other staff
- Prepare, monitor, and issue camp first aid kits, staff first aid kits, and field trip first aid kits
- Maintain health records, health screenings, and health care on site for campers and staff
- Monitor, assist with, and evaluate camp emergency procedures, general procedures, facilities, and conditions
- Maintain open and efficient communication with camp director, staff, and parents/guardians involving camper’s illness and injury through e-mail, phone, and/or in person based on the situation
- Assume responsibility for the physical health, safety, and mental welfare of the campers and staff
- Other duties as assigned
Apply today to join our summer camp team! (Your future self will thank you!)