Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Participate in Partner relationships-coordinate with Medical Specialty Teams (Disease-specific expert group of advisors & collaborators)-collaborative summer and family weekend program development and operation
• Participate in all “session planning meetings” to ensure the coordination of medical and program activities
• Maintain and update list of referring institutions, nurses, social workers, child life and other auxiliary medical team members with Camper Recruiter (CR).
• Will set-up, maintain contacts and accounts with local pharmacies, hospitals, EMS, Fire Departments (for obtaining needed medications, laboratory procedures, transport, biomedical QA, waste removal, etc).
• Update, maintain and assure accuracy of medical information in the camper/staff computer database.
• Maintain required federal and state records and reports regarding the use of narcotics and restricted medications at Camp.
• Ensure the Well Shell meets all applicable regulations and standards of the State of California Dept of Health, OSHA and the American Camping Association (for example, record keeping of campers and staff, biomedical waste disposal etc.)
• Develop medical education program and resource materials for nurses/ camp staff.
• Prepare for site visits from regulatory agencies
• Work in coordination with Health Center Director (HCD), Medical Director (MD), Nurse Manager (NM) and Camp Director (CD) for daily health surveillance of campers and staff
• Responsible for knowing and adhering to the policies and procedures contained within the Camp Manual.
• Participate in Medical Advisory Board meetings as directed
• Submit feedback/reports from each session experience to Health Center Director
• In conjunction with Health Center Director review annual budget in relation to medical staff and medical program operations
• Rotating administrative call during camp session with Health Center Director and Nurse Manager
Camper Selection Process – year round program and summer sessions
• Assist in camper admissions selection process with HCD, CR, Medical Specialty Team (recruitment, referral, screening, selection)
• Assist in reviewing individual health status of campers and staff before and during camp sessions with follow up post camp if necessary.
Staffing- year-round and summer
• Develop staffing needs and recruitment strategy for summer and weekend programs
• Provide job descriptions for staff nurses, volunteer nurses and allied health professionals
• Coordinate recruiting, screening, verification of qualifications, selection, assignment and evaluation of nurses and allied health professionals for summer and weekend programs.
• Create medical staff housing assignments for each session
Supervision Of The Well Shell During Camp Sessions - Summer and Weekend Programs
• Create a healing, welcoming environment within The Well Shell and provide an atmosphere of good morale and well – being among the camp family
• Ensure that medical staff follow The Painted Turtle medical policies, procedures and delivery systems for campers and camp staff
• Schedule 24 hour nursing coverage during camp sessions
• Maintain adequate medical coverage according to standards of safety at all high risk program areas- horses, ropes
• Design, participate and implement medical staff training and orientation with Health Center Director
• Design and participate in medical overview for general staff orientation
• Provide direct care as needed within scope of practice and doctors orders :
• Prepare, distribute, and administer scheduled medications to campers, staff and volunteers including PO, IM, SQ, and IV routes
• Administer scheduled medical treatments to campers, staff and volunteers
• Administer emergency treatments to campers, staff and volunteers as ordered
• Provide appropriate first aid per orders
• Schedule and obtain lab studies, arrange transport of specimens to appropriate laboratory and follow up on results to be reviewed
• Coordinate transport of camper to other medical facility when health needs arise
• Act as a resource and role model to medical staff , camp staff and volunteers (answer questions, provide in-services)
• Consult with camp staff to verify that all campers are provided with a healthy and safe experience consistent with each camper’s medical condition.
• Communicate with appropriate camp program personnel concerning campers’ diagnosis, care, and treatment needs – “special consideration sheets”/ information sheets
• Ensure the confidentiality of camper and family medical information and records is maintained
• Assist in supervision of and/ or participation in any patient or family medical education activities in coordination with HCD and program staff.
• Maintain communication with families and referring physicians about significant health-related developments that present while child is at camp
• Prepare and distribute medical equipment and supplies to program areas and cabins on and off-season (ex: first aid kits)
- Supply and maintain appropriate supplies, equipment and medications in the Well Shell to support campers and staff during programs at Camp. Will maintain inventory lists and update before, during and after the summer program and throughout year.
• Anticipate, prepare and assure supplies and equipment are available for individual campers with special needs
• Assure medications and procedures are administered properly and appropriate records are maintained.
• Assure cleaning/housekeeping of Well Shell is maintained according to standards
Outreach / Development/ Awareness- year round
• Help coordinate the medical camp staff and facility in participation in Painted Turtle community relations programs and special events on site
• Speak to medical professionals and potential donors/sponsors who may visit during sessions
• Speaking engagements, presentations at hospitals, clinics, nursing conferences, schools of nursing for awareness and recruitment of campers and staff
• Available to submit articles to newsletters to appropriate constituents for awareness
• Steward relationships with hospitals and medical supply vendors for ongoing medical supply donation
Educational Activities-year round
• Actively participate in staff and volunteer orientations (provide specific orientation for summer nurses, volunteer nurses and physicians, camp staff)
• Review and update health care/medical component of Camp Manual
• Assure accuracy of camper medical information data sheets provided to staff
• Act as health care resource for staff and volunteers, answer questions and provide in-services throughout camp program.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing required
• California RN license required
• 5 years of pediatric acute or critical care preferred
• Experience as a manager, charge nurse or other leadership position preferred
• Master’s Degree a plus
OUR CORE VALUES: Community, Trust, Courage, Heart, Vision, Compassion, Joy
The Painted Turtle community evokes positive and impactful change through a trust that holds us accountable to the graceful understanding represented by our compassion. The courage to stand up for our vision is at the heart of our intentional leadership, and so we are joyful in each and every present moment.
The Painted Turtle is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, veteran status, disability status, or any other federal, state or local protected class. We encourage applicants from a wide variety of identities and experiences to apply.