Summer Discovery Programs
NURSE – JOB DESCRIPTION
This position reports to the Director of the assigned campus and to the Program Director/Director of Operations.
The role of the Nurse for the Summer Discovery Program is to be responsible for first aid triage, and medical information in the infirmary. The Nurse is responsible for effective infection control procedures. Students requiring first aid treatments due to injuries, infections, or illness or requiring administration of prescribed medications are directed to the care of the Nurse. The Nurse participates in setting up the program infirmary, training staff on emergencies, and advising the Director on medical issues affecting students and staff. The Nurse maintains the medical log, and records maintain all medical records and advise on infection control procedures in the outbreak of a virus and/or triage center for emergencies.
- Haverford College, Haverford, PA
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- University of San Diego, San Diego CA
- Concordia University, Irvine, CA
1. Adheres to policies and procedures as outlined in the Summer Discovery Nurse manual and the Summer Discovery Employee Handbook.
2. Manages all medical aspects of the program for students and staff members.
3. Sets up the on-campus infirmary and supplies and participates in Pre-Program Responsibilities:
· Attends and participates in pre-camp training, include virtual webinars, online training, reading through provided manuals, and conference calls.
· Reviews all submitted student medical forms prior to student arrival.
· Assesses medical needs for each student from their medical forms prior to the program.
4. Makes medical assessment of immediate medical care.
5. Provides first aid treatment for all minor injuries of students and Summer Discovery Staff.
6. Leads training for asthma inhalers, Epi-Pens, first aid, and emergency procedures.
7. Refers students and/or staff for acute medical care to doctor, hospital, emergency care center, walk-in center per physician’s order and/or as the Nurse’s immediate emergency assessment warrants.
8. Administers prescribed medications based on a physician’s order.
9. Records all medications received and times that each distribution is administered in the Nurse Log.
10. Records accurate information in online medical records; attaching supplementary notes, medication sheets, completed accident forms, and/or claims reported to the Workers’ Compensation carrier.
11. Confers with Director and parents, if a student threatens to harm self or others, shows signs of drug abuse, or appears to be emotionally unstable.
12. Communicates with parents, physicians, and staff advising them of emerging student health issues and related problems.
13. Identifies communicable diseases and isolates infected students as needed until arrangements are made for student’s departure.
14. Maintains sanitary and infection control procedures in health care rooms.
15. Replenishes and maintains medical supplies through the on-campus budget.
16. Collects student medications that are received with an authorized prescription from a doctor.
17. Follows all state health regulations for camp programs and assists during health inspections.
18. Reports information to the Director on emergency medical problems; telephone conversations with parents, doctors, students, and/or accidents involving Summer Discovery students or staff.
19. Attends staff meetings and advises staff on related issues based upon state health regulations for camp programs at the staff orientation.
20. Produces a list of existing medical supplies at end of the program and a list of supplies to be replenished for the next year’s program.
21. Packs up the infirmary. Discards medication and supplies which have expired.
22. Additional duties as assigned.
1. Ability to work with specialized medical equipment including, but not limited to: stethoscope, thermometer, and blood pressure machines.
2. Proficient in technology to manage student health records online.
3. Ability to maintain professional communication style
4. Creative problem-solving skills
5. Work with various office equipment including, but not limited to cell phones, computers, recreational equipment, photocopiers, fax machines, or scanners.
This job operates at a residential college campus for a 3 to 7-week period.
1. Ability to move, or push objects by using hands and arms to install or position materials up to 40 lbs.
2. Ability to sit, stand, walk and kneel for prolonged periods of time to perform general operations.
3. Routinely use fingers and hands to apply first aid treatments and/or triage injuries.
4. Be able to demonstrate speech by speaking frequently for long periods of time to students, parents, faculty, Summer Discovery staff, public health officials while conveying detailed and important information.
5. Monitor the health and safety of others by scanning large areas at both nights and during the day.
6. Be able to work 24/7 shifts to anticipate unexpected situations or assist during emergencies.
7. Ability to live and work potentially during hot and humid summer months for days on campus.
8. Maintain constant contact with others by interacting with staff and students and within the campus and campus facilities.
Position Type / Expected Hours of Work / Travel
1. The position is required to reside on campus throughout the entirety of the program.
2. There will be additional hours of work outside of these including off-site pre and post-program.
Education / Experience/ Qualifications
1. Proof of a Registered Nursing (RN) Degree or Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) Degree from an accredited college or nursing program. State license must be issued by the state where the program is conducted.
2. Experience in providing first aid treatments, triage, infection control, and/or distribution of prescribed medical drugs to children in a medical institution, school, or camp environment.
3. Proof of valid certificate in First Aid training or equivalent program. American Red Cross Standard First Aid Certification is preferred.
4. Proof of a valid CPR Certification.
5. Nurse must provide a professional insurance certificate for Personal Liability Insurance. The certificate will include an endorsement for $1,000,000 umbrella coverage.
Please contact Jesse Candelario, Staffing Manager at Summer Discovery, at Jesse@summerdiscovery.com with any questions.